[asterisk-users] Meridian S1 to Asterisk via T1

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 14:49:14 CDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca> wrote:

> This is going into an emergency response facility...where they currently
> have a Nortel Option 61 (I think).  They want to slowly phase into VoIP.
> They will need 1000 phone set capacity (assuming full migration).

This can be done, and I am a proponent of Asterisk. But I don't think I
would recommend it in this situation. Frankly, having a big company like
Nortel to blame if/when downtime occurs would be worth the money difference
to me!

My fear of connecting their PBX directly to the PC (PCI card) is the
> potential for a PC crash.  If that somehow takes down their PBX there will
> be hell to pay.  (If it were just a regular office environment it would be
> ok).

Most media gateways will not work if/when the SIP server (i.e. Asterisk or
SER) goes down. Now, some SIP phones can register to multiple hosts, etc,
but I'd still push towards a COTS system in this case.