[asterisk-users] how to DUNDi branch office with area code?

Bruce Reeves nortexnetworks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:23:48 CDT 2007

DUNDi can be used in branch office and I have a similar setup to what
your are referring with 11 sites. One thing that I decided to do, but
did not have to is define site extensions like you did, but I use the
4 digit extension locally and via dundi. Here is the details:

In my case I check for the 4 digit extension in the current site then
do a look up on dundi. Each site send the request to 2 core systems
that keep up with all the peers and forward the request on.Once the
extension is found in the dundi context on a server the call gets
routed to the correct site.By doing it this way I don't have to
remember to dial a specific number for an intra site call. The other
thing is I do I have each site a set of numbers, like 3100 - 3199 is
site B and 3200 - 3299 is C, but with DUNDi I do not have to do it
that way, it will find the extensions since I use regexten=<whatever
extension> in my sip.conf for each phone.

I hope that makes sense, JR has done an excellent job explaining DUNDi
in several white papers, and I have used something from all of them.

On 9/6/07, d tbsky <tbskyd at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi:
>    i am new to asterisk and dundi. we have some branch office which
> will use asterisk in the future.  they will form a full-mesh structure
> so every site can contact each other directly. i want to try setup
> dundi, then we don't need to modify every pbx when a new site add in
> the cloud.
>    thanks to the great dundi document "caveman can do it" and other
> resource in the voip-info.org. i learn the basic setup of dundi. but
> i want to a little advanced setup with area code. like this:
>
>   site HQ: has extension 101,102,103, and site HQ has area code 99
>   site A: has extension 101,102,103, and site A has area code 01
>   site B: has extension 101,102,103 and site B has area code 02
>   site C: has extension 101,102,103 and site C has area code 03
>
> we want to use "4" as prefix to call to the internal cloud. so user at
> site A can call "4-99-101"  to contact extension 101 at HQ.  site B
> can  call " 4-03-102" to contact  extension 102 at site C.
>
> now i m confused about this structure with DUNDi. i don't know the
> best way to setup DUNDi for this structure. i think maybe i should do
> below when user  call "4-99-101"  at  site A :
>
>  1. site A ask for dundi request  "4-99-101"  to site HQ
>  2. site HQ strip "4-99" and look up 101 at local context
>  3. site HQ return the destination to site A
>  4. site A use the destination to call extension 101  at  site HQ
>
> i don't know if step 2&3  is possible in dundi.conf. the example in
> the internet didn't tell how to do this.  or there are better/standard
> ways to do this?
>
> thanks a lot for any suggestion!!
>
> Regards,
> tbskyd