[asterisk-users] Multitenant or Multiple virtual machines

lists at infoway.net lists at infoway.net
Thu Sep 6 06:58:41 CDT 2007

Hi all,

We want to offer hosted PBX services to some of our clients (maybe
10-20) and were wondering if it makes sense to get a software package
capable of handling multiple virtual tenants or if we should just
create multiple virtual machines in our server each running a single-
tenant license of the software.

We have been researching virtual PBX software for asterisk for a
couple of weeks and the number of solutions that we found that can
handle multi-tenant needs are limited and even the ones available can
not do everything some of our clients need. On the other side, there
is a large quantity of single-tenant packages out there which seem
more "feature-complete" than the multi-tenant versions we have found.

Since we're not going to be doing any transcoding and using only SIP
(no IAX or ZAP channels), we started pondering about the virtual
machine solution (small number of extensions and simultaneous calls;
we don't expect the number of simultaneous calls to exceed 50). Would
you guys recommend it? The only thing disadvantage we have thought of
so far is that when a client happens to call a number that is hosted
by one of the other clients, the call may end up going up to the SIP
carrier and back down to us, unless we carefully setup something like
DUNDi, which we have no experience with and we don't know if these
single-tenant packages even handle DUNDi setup thru their web
management interface.

Any opinions/comments/recommendations? Before anyone recommends just
buying the virtual PBX service from someone else, we _really_ want to
do this in-house :)

Thanks