[asterisk-users] Asterisk on UML (User Mode Linux)

Simon Tennant simon at imaginator.com
Thu Sep 6 06:30:10 CDT 2007

What's the current thinking on running Asterisk in a UML environment?  I
saw some discussion about Xen and asterisk on a Xen DomU.

I'm currently running Asterisk in a UML and have noticed poorer quality
on calls. I'm only using SIP and IAX2 trunks. No hardware adapters. I
guess timing is important, but even if I could get the provider to
install a kernel with the Zaptel Dummy timing device compiled in
(impossible to install kernel modules in UML), I'm not convinced this
would necessarily provide an accurate enough timing device.

Is anyone else running their Asterisk instance in UML?

If anyone is, what's the preferred way to keep timing accurate?

Thinking I may have been too hasty in switching to UML...

S.
--
Simon Tennant _______ http://imaginator.com/~simon/contact