[asterisk-users] asterisk voicemail to email and relaying

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Thu Sep 6 04:07:57 CDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2007, 02:07 -0600 schrieb Al lists:
> Hi list,
> I'm trying to get some ideas on this subject.
> Normally astersik sends emails with voicemail attached trough local
> MTA.
> As far as i know there is no way for asterisk to authenticate to an
> external mailserver to relay these emails.
> Well, these days every provider has some sort of spam blocking, to add
> to that usually users of asterisk are behid a dynamic IP with no PTR
> and list grows depending on what target mail server requirements are.
> Base on these facts i came to conclusion of setting up local MTA to
> relay emails trough another mail server (another mail server beeing
> their ISP mail server), i dont have very good results with
> sendmail/procmail and SASL, its inconsitance, works with some provider
> not all...
> I was wonderin what do you guys use for your asterisk boxes?

I have good experience with exim4, the default config needs some
tweaking (at least under Debian) for SSL and AUTH stuff, but that is
fairly documented and not difficult to setup. I only have one "upstream"
provider, a so-called smarthost, so I need not fear it will break with
any other mail host. YMMV.

Of course running exim4 only for mail-forwarding is a bit like hunting
sparrows with cannons (or whatever the equivalent english phrase is :-)
but then, it gets the job done, and without any mail in the queue its
memory footprint and cpu usage are neglible.

BR
Anselm