[asterisk-users] asterisk voicemail to email and relaying

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Sep 6 03:43:08 CDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:07:28AM -0600, Al lists wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'm trying to get some ideas on this subject.
> Normally astersik sends emails with voicemail attached trough local MTA.
> As far as i know there is no way for asterisk to authenticate to an external
> mailserver to relay these emails.

Sure. Asterisk *never* authenticates. In fact, Asterisk does not handle
SMTP in the first place. The MTA does.

The MTA may be sendmail, postfix, or even a non-queing "MTA" like ssmtp.

Your question is not an Asterisk question.

> Well, these days every provider has some sort of spam blocking, to add to
> that usually users of asterisk are behid a dynamic IP with no PTR and list
> grows depending on what target mail server requirements are.
> Base on these facts i came to conclusion of setting up local MTA to relay
> emails trough another mail server (another mail server beeing their ISP mail
> server), i dont have very good results with sendmail/procmail and SASL, its
> inconsitance, works with some provider not all...
> I was wonderin what do you guys use for your asterisk boxes?

procmail is used for delivery to a mailbox. Not for sending.

I specifically prefer postfix to sendmail. But that is a matter of taste...
For postfix, see http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html
and also specifically http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html and
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html . The latter is not well-written,
though.