[asterisk-users] Overhead paging over IP

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:31:50 CDT 2007

>       I have a customer that has two buildings that are connected with a
> fiber link.  We have a single Asterisk server to cover both buildings.
> Now the customer went and bought an overhead paging system for the
> remote building and they want to integrate it with Asterisk.  Is there a
> device that can connect over IP or an ATA that has an audio output port?
> The buildings are about 500 meters apart so we cannot run a cable from
> one building to the other just for audio.

At one customer site I use a linksys ATA setup with auto answer,
connect the tip and ring of the FXS port to the audio input of the
overhead paging system, works fine.  Also at another customer site,
the paging guys installed a audio input device that activates when
ring voltage hits the line, http://www.valcom.com/v-9970.htm .
Installed an ATA, nothing special, call that extension and device
brings the ATA off-hook then bam, your passing audio to the paging
system.  You can pick these up for ~$200.

JR
--
JR Richardson
Engineering for the Masses