[asterisk-users] Overhead paging over IP...

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Tue Sep 4 18:27:03 CDT 2007

Carlos Chavez wrote:
> 	I have a customer that has two buildings that are connected with a
> fiber link.  We have a single Asterisk server to cover both buildings.
> Now the customer went and bought an overhead paging system for the
> remote building and they want to integrate it with Asterisk.  Is there a
> device that can connect over IP or an ATA that has an audio output port?
> The buildings are about 500 meters apart so we cannot run a cable from
> one building to the other just for audio.

I think there are IP speakers out there but if you already have a Bogen
or something you may want to go a different route.

Polycom phones have a paging feature which is basically just auto answer
on speakerphone.  I suppose it would be quite easy to wire up the
headphone jack on the Polycom to the Bogen (or whatever).  A Polycom 301
should work just fine.  If I were you, I would try that (but I have two
or three 301s just laying around...)

Thanks,
Steve Totaro