[asterisk-users] Mobile phone codecs ...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Oct 31 11:47:58 CDT 2007

Not strictly asterisk related, however...

Here's an odd one for you.. I got a Nokia E90 and setup it's SIP client
which runs via Wi-Fi (anyone know if I can make it work via GPRS/3G?)

Anyway, in a fit of idleness, I thought I'd see what codecs it supports,
as I couldn't find it in the manual...

And it supports:

   ilbc
   g729
   ulaw/alaw

No GSM!

How odd is that, given that it's a GSM mobile phone...

Anyway, my quest for the ultimate "one handset" solution is getting
closer. If Wi-Fi weren't so rubbish and my house not made of Dartmoor
Granite it might have half a chance of working outside the room with the
access point, however ...

Anyone tried the Plantronics Voyager 510 bluetooth headsets which
regsiters to both a mobile phone and their own base unit (which
presumably has a USB sound device)

as in:

https://www.ukheadsets.co.uk/thc-plantronics-voyager-510-usb-dongle-rn-422-action-show_detail-show_products_mode-cat_click

I'm not a fan of soft-phones, and not sure I want to have a borg implant
on when I'm not driving, but ...

Oh well... Back to the grind!

Gordon