[asterisk-users] A Leg Control on Asterisk Callback

Douglas Garstang dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 12:29:38 CDT 2007

I'm confused about something.
It's the way Asterisk handles the A leg (ie the first party dialed) on an originate command via the Manager Interface.

Lets say our originate commands looks like this:

ACTION: Originate
Async: yes
Timeout: 60000
Exten: callback
Channel: SIP/5551212 at provider
Variable: destination=SIP/8675309 at provider
Callerid: 5551212
Context: default
ActionID: 849120

Asterisk first goes and dials the Channel parameter, SIP/5551212 at provider. This is where it gets confusing. You have no control over what happens here. The actions don't even appear on the Asterisk console debug. It isn't until this party has picked up, and control jumps to the 'callback' extension, that Asterisk shows you what it is doing.

So, I went and changed the Channel parmeter to Channel: Local/5551212 at LegA, and made a LegA context:

[LegA]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN}@provider)
exten => _X.,n,Playback(tt-monkeys)

I wanted to have control over the call both before and after it is placed. I wanted to be able to play a prompt to the caller before the call is placed to the destination number. However, since we've dialled the A party already, we have no control over the dial plan anymore after they have answered, and I can't play prompts.

What can I do here?

Doug.

http://mail.yahoo.com