[asterisk-users] SPA-841 vs Grandstream GXP-2000

Chris Hanson xenonofarcticus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:41:23 CDT 2007

I started out a few years ago with some SPA-841 sets, because the
Grandstream 2000 I thought I wanted was perpetually delayed. The GS had more
call appearances, and I didn't want just the 4 max that the SPA offered. As
it turns out, with the greater flexibility of VOIP, I don't need 'dedicated'
CAs the way I needed them on ISDN previously, so 4 is actually adequate.
Along the line, I did pick up one GXP-2000 when it finally went on sale, and
it's sort of the odd bird of my office. I haven't been too thrilled with it.

Is there anyone out there who honestly prefers the GXP-2000 to the SPA-841?
Am I missing some great functionality? I just find the UI to be quirky and
cumbersome, though the phone itself is decent. I may just be too used to the
SPA way of doing things. I've upgraded the GXP's firmware a few times, but I
stopped because it seemed like each upgrade had a step backwards too. Maybe
I can find someone out there who wants to trade my GXP for an SPA so I can
have a homogeneous phone system. ;)