[asterisk-users] Realtime on Asterisk 1.2.24

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Oct 27 14:00:03 CDT 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007 13:10:37 Brian Capouch wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > I *STRONGLY* recommend that you do NOT use realtime extensions.  If you
> > want a dynamic dialplan, the correct way to do it is to segregate your
> > logic and your data (via something like func_odbc), not to stick all of
> > your logic into a database.
>
> Should this be taken as a warning to us happy realtime users that it is
> deprecated, and/or likely to go away?

No, it's not deprecated.  That said, there are things that are unlikely to
ever be supported in realtime extensions, such as hints.  What you have
now is likely the most that you'll ever have, with regard to realtime
extensions, unless somebody contributes some code that surmounts the
(fairly considerable) engineering issues.

> If that's where it's headed (once upon a time a discussion to "do it the
> right way" was scheduled for the Atlanta confab last spring, but the
> topic never emerged there AFAIK) then it ought to be officially
> deprecated so those of us who use it extensively can begin to plan our
> migration to other ways of solving the problems that realtime seems (at
> least to me) to solve nicely.

func_odbc (and to a lesser extent, the MYSQL command) seems to be the
way forward.

> I can deploy large numbers of servers with complex and coherent
> dialplans with pretty much zero effort on a given new client, and I can
> also effect system-wide changes across my servers with a single database
> update.

There are other ways to do that, such as storing your configuration files in
SVN, then doing an '#exec' out of a static file to 'svn cat' the latest
version.

> I find it to be a powerful and useful feature.  But if there's a better
> way to do it I'm willing to learn.  To my knowledge there are no
> Postgres ports of ODBC running yet under openWRT, and so I am using the
> PG module to access my information.  At the moment func_odbc wouldn't
> seem to get the job done for me as per your suggestion above.

Embedded systems are a challenge all of the way around.  As I'm not working
directly on any embedded systems, I haven't really gone into those issues
(other than the autoconf issues you've complained about on this list, and I
subsequently fixed).

--
Tilghman