[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4: encryption support

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Sat Oct 27 13:15:03 CDT 2007

Russell Bryant wrote:
> Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:
>
>>Dear all, I have Asterisk 1.4.13 and I need to use encryption among
>>Asterisk and my SIP users, and with the RTP data interchanged among
>>users. I prefer the use of ZRTP/SRTP because we use Twinkle and
>>X-Lite/Zfone as our voip clients and they support these encryption
>>mechanism.
>>
>>My question is: do I have to enable any encryption support in Asterisk
>>1.4.13 ??? Or Asterisk has native encryption support ???
>

> The only VoIP encryption provided in Asterisk 1.4 is IAX2 encryption, which can
> be used between Asterisk servers.  I'm not aware of any IAX2 clients that
> support encryption.

What's the status of SRTP?

I remember seeing things floating around about it being under
development, but various sotto voce conversations I've had around over
the past few days would indicate that it hasn't gained much/any traction.

I'd be glad to be disabused of that notion.

Thx.

b.

believed to be clean.