[asterisk-users] PRI span configuration - span remains down

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:51:35 CDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Matthew Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com> wrote:

> > Is there some part of the debug output I need to tell the telco about?
> > When I was on to them earlier today, the engineer only seemed to know
> > how to turn bits of their network on and off, not much about settings
> > I need my end etc.
> >

> Just tell them when you try to make a call, you get cause code 44 back
> (channel unavailable).  They can look at their switch to figure out
> what's going on.

I had a strange problem with cause code 44 on just 5 B channels of a PRI.
The first time I'd dial, I'd get cause code 44 and * would attempt to
restart the B channel.  The switch would never respond to the request to
restart, so the channel remained in limbo from *'s perspective, and further
attempts to dial out explicitly on that channel would give me congestion
(generated from *, not from the Telco), and attempts to dial out using a
group that contained those channels would just skip over them.

I called the Telco, and spent over a week trying to convince them that the
RELEASE COMPLETE was coming from their end.  They claimed it was coming from
me.  It was almost as if something in between my system and where the tech
was running his trace was proxying the Q.931 messages, and sending us both a
cause code 44 when I used those channels.

In the end, they re-built my trunk and the problems immediately cleared, so
it was apparantly some buggered state in their switch.

This was with a 5ESS running NI-2 if that helps.

--
j.

--
j.