[asterisk-users] Voicemail playback on iPhone

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Wed Oct 24 19:06:30 CDT 2007

Am Mittwoch, den 24.10.2007, 11:19 -0500 schrieb Peder @
NetworkOblivion:
> This is semi-related, but I have a Tmobile MDA and I couldn't play the
> files either.  The issue was not a codec issue, it was an email encoding
> issue.  If I sent the message to an email account and it was then
> downloaded to my desktop via outlook and then forwarded on to my phone,
> I can listen to them.  If I just send it direct to the phone, I see the
> attachment and it opens in media player, but it won't play.  I don't
> know if you are having codec issues or email encoding issues, but it is
> a place to look.
>
> Incidentally, if someone knows how to get around the "download email and
> then forward" issue that I am having, I would like to hear it.

Peder,

you might want to start a new thread on this: If it really troubles you
odds are others also have that problem.

For a start you could investigate the difference between mails sent from
the Comedian versus mail sent from Outlook (probably the latter's
headers look as if they were meant to be funny... this would be the
first time that I see Outlook produce mails more compatible than another
mailer program :-/ )

The hint might be in different places: The exact settings of the
MIME/multipart stuff might be the hinge point.

IIRC you can use an external script to mail-forward new voice messages.
You could try some mime-capable mailer to do that for you, perhaps they
get it working.

I also own an MDA (clone, some Korean HTC iirc, but the company logo is
nowhere to see, just the network provider logo was there until it rubbed
off in everyday wear and tear). As I do not use it to read mail I do not
know wether this problem could be repeated here. Perhaps you could give
a guide how to reproduce it? (I _do_ use Squirrelmail on that device to
access my courier imap server holding voice mails - but that will not
count for this problem).

Best regards
Anselm