[asterisk-users] Voicemail playback on iPhone

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.asterisk at lixfeld.ca
Wed Oct 24 10:58:12 CDT 2007

I guess what I'm asking is if there is a recipe anyone has used to
allow a voicemail message (once recorded by asterisk) to playback on
iPhone when said recorded voicemail is received as an email
attachment.  I understand you can convert using sox, so I guess that's
the ingredient and some sort of * configs would be the glue - I
suppose it's the glue I can't figure out.  I'm not trying to figure
out how to get voicemails to show up in iPhone VVM or anything like
that.

If the voicemail configs can't be tweaked enough to record in a format
iPhone can play, how can I get something like sox convert the message
to another format before * emails the voicemail off to the callee?  If
I understand correctly, the voicemail app takes care of the entire
process from the time voicemail is recorded from the caller to the
time it is sent to the callee (ie: email).  If that's true, then I
guess I need to understand how to tell asterisk to fork from voicemail
to some script to convert the recording to something iPhone friendly
before we fork back to voicemail where we left off and actually email
the message to the callee.

Am I making any sense?