[asterisk-users] Asterisk under VMWare

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Wed Oct 24 04:15:15 CDT 2007

P> There is a Xen page called something like "cool configurations". It
P> has information how you can configure access to a PCI card. Iirc it
P> is even possible to assign one PCI slot/card to one virtual client
P> and another PCI slot to another virtual client. Thanks to CentOS'
P> Andreas Rogge for finding that info for me at the T-DOSE
P> conference.

Just be careful, this is not a security solution. If you get root in a
virtual server which has been assigned a PCI card, it is highly likely
that you can use that PCI card to DMA to the host, gaining you root
access in the host or any other virtual server.

This problem can only be solved in hardware. Both Intel and AMD are
working on it, some non-x86 vendors have had it for a while.

/Benny