[asterisk-users] Issues with Zaptel 1.4.5.1

Aldo D. Sudak adsudak at fullzero.com.ar
Sun Oct 21 21:28:49 CDT 2007

Hi Tzafrir!

Thank you for your answer, and my apologies for my delayed
response. I regret to say that the patch test's results were not succesful.
I shall describe the whole procedure in detail for you to establish whether
I did something wrong.

The fact is that I am as much a Linux beginner as I am an Asterisk one,
and so I had first to learn how to stick the patch. Since I found no
instructions to apply it, perhaps this was not the right procedure... After
initially attempting with 3M self-adhessive tape with little success..., I finally
did the following:

1) I copied the autoztcgf.diff to the /usr/src/zaptel-1.4.5.1 directory
2) I run patch -b < autoztcfg.diff
3) Since a file named zaptel.c did not exist, patch offered me to enter the
filename. I entered zaptel-base.c which I thought was the most probable
file to be patched.
4) I obtained 6 out of 6 success messages indicating however very variable
offsets, ranging between 13 and 224 lines, which called my attention. May
be this was normal, however.

Then I performed the following actions:

1) I sent the zaptel file in /etc/modprobe.d/ to trash (remember this file had
been artificially grafted by me by means of zaptel 1.4.4). By the way I want
to make clear that zaptel files in /etc/init.d and in /etc/rc.d/init.d were created
by version 1.4.5.1, and that zaptel modules were loaded during bootup (they
just were not configured).
2) I stopped Asterisk and unloaded zttranscode, wctdm24xxp and zaptel by
means of rmmod. (My card is a TDM800P)
3) I then installed the patched zaptel-1.4.5.1 starting with a make clear command.
Everything went OK. A new zaptel.conf replaced the previous one. I properly
configured it by hand. I restarted the machine.

Results:

1) Zaptel was not automatically configured. I ran zttool: 'unconfigured' statement
2) I ran /sbin/ztcfg -vv. The result was a wonderful computer crash. I had to restart
it from the CPU button :-(

Finally I returned to my original installation and re-sent the zaptel script to the
/etc/modprobe.d directory. Everything began to work properly again. In my
humble and newbie's opinion, a patch to simply install this script would have to
solve the problem. Considering that previous versions did it, I cannot understand
well why this action has been eliminated in version 1.4.5.1.

Greetings,

Aldo