[asterisk-users] Automatic provisioning of Sipura handsets (was: A linksys SPA921 behind NAT and firewall)

Anselm Martin Hoffmeister anselm at hoffmeister-online.de
Sun Oct 21 03:09:30 CDT 2007

Am Samstag, den 20.10.2007, 22:58 -0700 schrieb Philip Prindeville:
> Erik Anderson wrote:
> > On 10/20/07, joakimsen at gmail.com <joakimsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If you are trying to use non-complied ("XML") profiles... don't even
> >> bother wasting your time.
> >>

> > Why is that?  I'm using the xml-style config and they're working just fine.
> >

> I'd like to be able to templatize a server, add a bunch of new handsets
> into sip.conf and extensions.conf, and then plug the phones into a
> network and have some DHCP and/or TFTP "glue" logic that sees the DHCP
> or TFTP request, and from it generates a boot file (an .XML file) and a
> response parameter list for DHCP... populates a file into the /tftpboot/
> directory, etc.
>
> How viable is this?

The problem there is that you have a very small "windows". AFAIK there
are no tftp servers that can generate files on-the-fly, so your script
would have to generate the XML within less than a second, reliably, and
do all the necessary asterisk changes within another second or two, and
I doubt this will be possible _that_ quick.

Of course you can use ISC dhcpd for tailoring answers to your needs
(dynamic setting of config file etc), but IMO this will only work well
if the phones support http config download, because that gives you a
much better hook to put your script, and you can hold back the file
until all the asterisk changes are done, and finally return the XML (or
whatever).

BR
Anselm