[asterisk-users] Automatic provisioning of Sipura handsets (was: A linksys SPA921 behind NAT and firewall)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sun Oct 21 00:58:19 CDT 2007

Erik Anderson wrote:
> On 10/20/07, joakimsen at gmail.com <joakimsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are trying to use non-complied ("XML") profiles... don't even
>> bother wasting your time.
>>

> Why is that?  I'm using the xml-style config and they're working just fine.

I'd like to be able to templatize a server, add a bunch of new handsets
into sip.conf and extensions.conf, and then plug the phones into a
network and have some DHCP and/or TFTP "glue" logic that sees the DHCP
or TFTP request, and from it generates a boot file (an .XML file) and a
response parameter list for DHCP... populates a file into the /tftpboot/
directory, etc.

How viable is this?

I'd like it to be lightweight enough that it could be done on some of
the smaller embedded Asterisk boxes (like the 400MHz SoHo units).

Thanks,

-Philip