[asterisk-users] Automating blacklists

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Thu Oct 18 12:55:01 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 16:02 +0300, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading all I can on Google (and Asterisk TFOT book) looking
> for ideas on how to implement an automated blacklist feature.
>
> I would like to automatically blacklist a incoming number based on
> timestamp and count information.
>
> For example, if I get a prank call from the same number 5 times within
> 15 minutes, I want my dialplan to automatically blacklist this number.
>
> Should I be looking at AGI to do something like this?
>
> Thanks for any ideas or pointers!

I hate telemarketers.

And at ***least*** one calls every day.

But I rarely have to talk to them.

Using AstDB, and dialplan programming in AEL, I have implemented some
measures
that cut the number of telemarketers who "make it through" to only maybe
1 per year.

All my stuff is in AEL. Along this line, my home phone system records
all CID's coming in, and counts each incoming call for each CID.
Telemarketer autodialers tend to call in without any CID. So, I play
anonymous callers the telezapper tri-tones. It's kinda irritating to
callers to get this, so I only play it to eligible callers. Autodialers
usually immediately hang up, and because they usually interpret
tri-tones as "wrong number", they remove me from their db, and I don't
hear from them again... But there is a growing number of telemarketers
who actually supply some sort of CID info for the call. I count how many
times they call, but get filtered out. After I get the same party
calling in 4 times or more in row, that don't actually end up talking to
anyone, I start playing them the tri-tones. That usually is the end of
that sequence.

All this is done with simple dialplan statements and the use of AstDB
(see the DB() function).

I also whitelist, and route certain callers directly to particular
extensions, bypassing all filters.

I also have DB entries that will override the default MOH for some
callers, based either on CID, or who they are calling. For instance, one
of my sons preferred his callers got rock music instead of the normal
elevator stuff.

Also available to those who prefer not to be bothered continuously by
charity seekers, political pollsters, long-distance dialing hawkers,
septic-tank bacteria salesmen, etc, are the privacy related options to
the Dial() app. You can do call screening, and route unwanted incoming
calls to voicemail. Might even help with debt collectors, etc.

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer