[asterisk-users] Asterisk on USB Flash?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Thu Oct 18 06:59:17 CDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:32:44 -0400, Brian Capouch wrote:

>shadowym wrote:
>> Size/Speed/write cycles have gone way up, price has gone way down.  More
>> common than CompactFlash and no need for an adapter.  So is it feasible to
>> run an Asterisk server on something like this?  With a MTBF of 1million
>> write cycles coupled with dynamic wear management on a 4Gig USB drive,
>> lifetime is a non-issue.  Just wondering how well it works, if it works.
>>

>My "main" server for my home and teensy business runs on a Netgear
>WGT634U running SVN-trunk under openWRT.
>
>The Asterisk binary sits on the machine's flash, but all the modules,
>prompt files, voicemail, etc., goes to the flash.
>
>It works just fine.  This system doesn't get a huge amount of voicemail,
>so I don't know about how long it would be before the wear issue would
>surface (pun?).
>
>I know it works just fine.  I've been doing this now for almost two
>years, although with various versions of embedded Linux and various
>versions of Asterisk.

Yep, me too. I've been running Asterisk on Soekris Net4801 and H-P
T5700 booting from either CF or USB key for just over two years. No
problems at all for a small office. In fact, its kinda a waste to have
to buy 1 GB+ USB keys when it really needs < 64 MB.

In fact, my Net4801 box is using a 64 MB CF card that I receyled from
my first digital camera. That card must be 7 years old. Still works.
Not much VM so not much wear.

Michael
--
Michael Graves