[asterisk-users] Asterisk on USB Flash?

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Oct 17 23:32:44 CDT 2007

shadowym wrote:
> Size/Speed/write cycles have gone way up, price has gone way down.  More
> common than CompactFlash and no need for an adapter.  So is it feasible to
> run an Asterisk server on something like this?  With a MTBF of 1million
> write cycles coupled with dynamic wear management on a 4Gig USB drive,
> lifetime is a non-issue.  Just wondering how well it works, if it works.

My "main" server for my home and teensy business runs on a Netgear
WGT634U running SVN-trunk under openWRT.

The Asterisk binary sits on the machine's flash, but all the modules,
prompt files, voicemail, etc., goes to the flash.

It works just fine.  This system doesn't get a huge amount of voicemail,
so I don't know about how long it would be before the wear issue would
surface (pun?).

I know it works just fine.  I've been doing this now for almost two
years, although with various versions of embedded Linux and various
versions of Asterisk.

b.

believed to be clean.