[asterisk-users] About .call files when the congestionis on myside

Cosmin Prund cosmin.prund at adicomsoft.ro
Wed Oct 17 05:43:42 CDT 2007

> Behalf Of Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
> Sent: 16 octombrie 2007 09:29
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] About .call files when the congestionis
> on myside
>

> > *IF* an unanswered call stops the retry cycle then it's true, I can
> simply
> > ask for lots of retries. I assumed an unanswered call would NOT stop
> > the retry cycle so I was afraid to set a large value here. I'll have
> > to test what happens if the called line doesn't pick up the phone.
>
> An unanswered call should just initiate another Wait, followed by a
> retry. Unanswered means as much as unsuccessful, for the purpose of a
> call file is to dial out and get whatever done.
>
> If you want unanswered calls to be successful (which does not make much
> sense to me, because the fax has not been delivered), you probably need
> scripts that do the management for you.

What I really want is to get a real chance for the fax to go throw, and I'm looking for some balance here. The way call files seem to work out of the box is absolutely perfect IF the lines are not very congested. Since in my case the congestion is on my side most faxes don't even get 1 real try (they all fail because my side is congested). For me a good solution would be one where the call is not counted if the congestion is on my side. A perfect solution would be one where the "try" starts and loops till a local line becomes available - so I can work with acceptable wait times between tries.

Failing all that, I had hope from a previous post: IF an un-picked remote ringing phone would stop the retry loop, I could use a short wait between tries and a large number of tries (so I'd try and try till the phone rings at least once). But that doesn't work, since an unanswered ringing phone doesn't stop the retry loop. I don't want to risk making an customer's phone ring for 2 hours non-stop just because there's no one near the phone to pick it up or the fax went out of paper and refuses to auto-answer!

Now I'm left with 3 options:

(a) Hope for a solution/tip from the list.
(b) Some kind of management-api based solution.
(c) A code-hack.

Out of the three, the first option is probably best (I'm obviously no Asterisk-guru). (b) might work well as I might be able to actually loop till I send the fax, not till I get an answer; (c) might also work, but I sure hope I don't need to go there...

--
Cosmin Prund