[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine for Asterisk?

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Oct 16 07:38:58 CDT 2007

Hi Raul,

I think that Bacula is going to cause you many headaches with Asterisk.
Backups are (surprise!) I/O intensive and when streaming data from the
network to disk or tape it will saturate the available bandwidth. This
will cause the I/O wait time on the CPU to run high and effectively
block other processing (eg. voice traffic) for seconds at a time. Try
running a full backup during office hours and see what your users have
to say!

My recommendation is to move either Asterisk or Bacula to a separate
machine.

regards,

Drew

Raúl Gómez C. wrote:
> Well, this has become a hot topic! :p
>
> Thinking about my original post, I was reluctant of installing my PBX
> on a shared system, is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2 Intel Xeon Dual
> Core CPUs @2GHz (4 totals cores) and 4GB RAM which serves as Domain
> Controller and File Server (Samba), central backup server (Bacula with
> a LTO2 external tape drive), it has dual NIC in a bonding alb mode and
> redundant PSU (each one connected to a different UPS). It has a PCI
> slots in which I can install my Sangoma Remora A400D card.
>
> But now I think the PBX will work just fine in this system, maybe
> breaking the channel bonding and dedicating a NIC for the PBX and the
> other NIC for the remaining task, what do you think? Or its better to
> install the PBX on a dedicated system? Let me know your opinions!
>
> Regards...
>
> Raul
>

> On 10/12/07, *Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC*
> <mojo at horanappraisals.com <mailto:mojo at horanappraisals.com>> wrote:
>

>     You're correct, it IS 100 -- but 100%.  Expressed in decimal format,
>     this is of course 1.0 -- and as each cpu has this average, 4.0
>     indicates
>     that no threads regularly wait for execution.  This worldcommunitygrid
>     you mentioned binds your cpu by design it sounds like.

Drew Gibson

Systems Administrator
OANDA Corporation
www.oanda.com