[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99bottlesof beer)

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Oct 15 22:23:38 CDT 2007

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Jon Pounder wrote:

> has anyone actually been satisfied with the performance of these
> powerline signalling devices ?
>
> yeah they make a nice cheap demo, but any time I have used them they
> proved to operate randomly on their own, and not always when they were
> supposed to. Hardly something I would want for say a door release.

Getting off topic a bit here, but...

I use x10 to control the sprinklers, kick the kids TV's off at 10pm, and
control the exterior xmas lights. I've never noticed anything not turning
on or off as expected.

I have a 3600 square foot house and attribute the stability of the x10
stuff to the "SignaLinc Plug-In Phase Coupler (For 3-Wire 220v Dryers)"
that bridges, conditions, and retransmits the signals between the 2 110v
legs.

I wouldn't use x10 to control a pacemaker or a dialysis machine, but I
plan on adding interior lighting and the thermostat. These will be
controlled using Z-wave because I'm moving from Mythdora to LinuxMCE.

Thanks in advance,