[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99bottlesof beer)

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Mon Oct 15 21:18:59 CDT 2007

Quoting John Faubion <jfaubion at tx.rr.com>:

>> Does anyone know of such a  device that I can use over a network? It would
>> be a pain to run a USB cable. I am thinking of devices that are like:
>
> I think your missing the key feature of these devices, UPB/X10. UPB and X10
> are communication protocols that runs across the electrical wiring in the
> home. The 1132 box can be programmed using a USB cable to your computer but
> it doesn't have to remain connected via USB to control the lights and
> outlets using X10. Additionally you only have to connect one PC-UPB/X10
> controller to control the other UPB/X10 devices. You will have to install
> more devices to make it all work but the commands come across the house
> wiring.

has anyone actually been satisfied with the performance of these
powerline signalling devices ?

yeah they make a nice cheap demo, but any time I have used them they
proved to operate randomly on their own, and not always when they were
supposed to. Hardly something I would want for say a door release.

Granted in an existing situation there may not be a way to run more
wires, but I evaluated them a while back and decided to stay away.

> John

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com