[asterisk-users] asterisk at non-root / zaptel

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:04:48 CDT 2007

Robert McNaught wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the 2nd edition of the Asterisk book, there is a section recommending
> running asterisk as non-root - tried this and it works.  However,
> asterisk does not have permissions to view certain files relating to
> zaptel as in the following 'zap show status' command in the * CLI
>
> What would be the best way to get round this, in terms of reliability
> and security?  Is there a way to allow the user 'asterisk' access to the
> necessary files?  Or would it be better to run the zaptel service as the
> same user as 'asterisk' is running as?  Does anyone have any thoughts on
> this
>
> BTW, the /dev/zap/ctl file exists and zap is starting with errors or alarms.
>
> No Zaptel interface found.
> [Oct 15 10:31:21] WARNING[7036]: chan_zap.c:10026 zap_show_status:
> Unable to open /dev/zap/ctl: No such file or directory
> localhost*CLI>

Mine works. I installed asterisk from source and it is running as user
"asterisk" group "asterisk".

In fact the zaptel udev rules should sort this out automatically. Did
you install the udev rules?

vimes*CLI> zap show status
Description                              Alarms     IRQ        bpviol
   CRC4
Wildcard X100P Board 1                   OK         0          0
   0
ZTDUMMY/1 1                              UNCONFIGUR 0          0
   0
vimes*CLI>

Alan
--