[asterisk-users] Cannot create socket error

Chris Bagnall chris at minotaur.it
Mon Oct 15 07:20:41 CDT 2007

Greetings list,

One of our asterisk boxes has been spitting out the following error this morning:

Oct 15 12:31:50 WARNING[22300]: acl.c:306 ast_ouraddrfor: Cannot create socket

Looking at the list archives, it seems this is usually caused by insufficient file handles on very heavily loaded systems. Is there anything else that can cause it? For now I've killed and restarted the asterisk process, which seems to have resolved things, but I am curious as to what might have caused it.

The box this error was encountered on only has 8 SIP devices registered on it, and never makes more than 2-3 concurrent calls, so I'd be very surprised if it's a load issue.

If it makes any difference, asterisk is 1.2.17 (same version as on most of our other boxes), hardware is a Via C3 (Nehemiah) with 256MB RAM.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it