[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine for Asterisk?

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Fri Oct 12 21:07:56 CDT 2007

Raúl Gómez C. wrote:

> Thinking about my original post, I was reluctant of installing my PBX on a
> shared system, is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2 Intel Xeon Dual Core CPUs
> @2GHz (4 totals cores) and 4GB RAM which serves as Domain Controller and
> File Server (Samba), central backup server (Bacula with a LTO2 external tape
> drive), it has dual NIC in a bonding alb mode and redundant PSU (each one
> connected to a different UPS). It has a PCI slots in which I can install my
> Sangoma Remora A400D card.
>
> But now I think the PBX will work just fine in this system, maybe breaking
> the channel bonding and dedicating a NIC for the PBX and the other NIC for
> the remaining task, what do you think? Or its better to install the PBX on a
> dedicated system? Let me know your opinions!

Apart from the fact that it's always better to have a
dedicated system it really depends on how busy the
server is right now and how much load you expect from
your PBX.
I wouln'd use a machine already busy with serving files
as a PBX but it may work just fine.

Regards,
  Philipp Kempgen

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
    Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998