[asterisk-users] How are you using Asterisk at Home ?

Tom Browning ttbrowning at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 04:59:03 CDT 2007

Totally agree *IF* the SIP elements behind your "router/firewall" have real
IP addresses and you are not using NAT in your router.

With NAT scenarios, I prefer to have a copy of Asterisk running on
"firewall/NAT router" so it at least has one public IP address to make
various SIP games a little easier.

iptables can really protect asterisk from uninvited (npi) SIP / RTP packets
if you are really paranoid

also the asterisk running on your "firewall/NAT router" can be dedicated to
just gateway functions and have your important and private asterisk pbx
behind the NAT/firewall using the gateway as needed