[asterisk-users] Opinion on hardware (computer) for an Asterisk Server!

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Oct 11 02:50:11 CDT 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Raúl Gómez C. wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I'm about to install Asterisk on an Old HP NetServer LC2000 Server (year
> 2001), it has 2 Pentium III 1GHz CPUs (Coppermine FSB 133MHz 256K L2 Cache),
> 768MB PC-133 ECC RAM, 3 UltraSCSI LVD2 18.2GB 10K RPM HDD in RAID5, 100Mb
> NIC for server.
>
> This Server will support 35 SIP phones (users) and 10 FXO ports (for telco
> lines) and 2 FXS ports (internal analog phones) with a Sangoma Remora A400
> PCI card.
>
> What do you think? is this hardware enough for this setup???

Yes - You should be fine. (Based on my own use of 1GHz Via boards)

However, it's OLD.

6 years old now. What's going to fail first? The drives? PSU? Fans? Are
you going to put your company's phone system which has to "just work" on
an aging server? Do yourself a favour and spend some money on a modern
box.

You're probably going to spend somewhere in the region of £3500 on the
phones themselves (probably more), so even a quarter of that will get you
a good modern box to run it all on....

(Which with the right processor and drive configuration will probably suck
less power too, if that's a concern for you)

Gordon