[asterisk-users] Wifi - Managed access points...

Ron Arts ron.arts at netland.nl
Wed Oct 10 02:25:10 CDT 2007

Luis,

I strongly recommend that you test the setup before deployment.
I have done a lot of tests with WiFi VoIP, handover, security,
and though I don't have experience with the hardware you mention,
I know WiFi VoIP is very brittle, especially in combination
with WPA and handover. Battery life is a very important concern.

And maybe you can report your findings to this list?

Luis Antonio Prata Barbosa schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a Wifi VoIP project specification. It will have almost 8
> APs and 20-30 wifi phones.
>
> And after some research, I still having some questions ...
>
> 1) Are Managed Access Points (and switch controllers) really important
> to implement good wifi woip (w/ low latency and acceptable handover time) ?
>
> 2) What is the difference between (3com WX1200 + 3com AP 3750) and
>  (DES-1228P + DWL-3140AP) ???
>
> 3) 3com says their AP implements WMM ...  and DLink says they priorize
> VoIP traffic based on VLAN ... are those methods the same ?

No, they are not.

Ron Arts