[asterisk-users] net5501 + TDM400P?

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 15:53:47 CDT 2007

Hi,

  I'm relatively new to Asterisk, and I'm looking to build a tiny
system for home use.

  For context, at home I've got a line from Vonage (last I heard, they
won't give out SIP credentials and let you use random
hardware/software), which comes out as an analog line with a dialtone,
and I'll be treating that as if it were a regular PSTN connection.  I
also work from home, and my company runs an Asterisk server at the
main office.  When I signed on they gave me a cheap Grandstream desk
phone to connect to the corporate Asterisk server from home with.  I
also have a really nice DECT6 cordless phone system set up with
handsets all around the house, currently plugged into the Vonage line.

  What I'd like to do is set up an Asterisk box with 1x FXS (to the
cordless phone base station) and 1x FXO (to the Vonage
pseudo-PSTN-line), and also have it act as a SIP client to the office
Asterisk system, and let the Grandstream be a client to my Asterisk,
and configure it up so that both the Grandstream and the cordless
system can be used to answer and dial from both my office and home
lines.

  So we're talking a total of two extensions (one FXS, one
SIP/ethernet deskphone device)  and two connections to the outside
world (one FXO pseudo-PSTN, and SIP to the office), and a maximum of
two concurrent telephone calls going through the system.

  What I'm considering hardware-wise is a Soekris net5501 paired with
a Digium TDM400P equipped with 1xFXO and 1xFXS (might add a second FXS
later down the road).  I'm a pretty well-versed linux hacker, so I'm
not too worried about being able to get the software side up and
running.  What I'm really looking for is advice and info from people
that have tried this (or similar) hardware setups on the following:

1) Does the Soekris case fit a TDM400P card inside of it?  I don't
mind if I have to get out the dremel to get the ports exposed, but
does it fit inside at all?

2) With a net5501+TDM400P+1xFXS, if I use the Soekris 2.5A power
supply, will I need the extra external 12V supply (the digium one) to
supply power for the FXS module?  Some things I read seem to indicate
that you always need it, some don't...?  Does anything change on this
if/when I put in a second FXS port?

3) How much storage space do I really need to get one of the common
embedded Asterisk distros on there, and also leave room for a good
amount of voicemail, and room to hack with cool things in the
dialplan, etc?  Would you recommend a 2.5-in HDD, or can we fit this
all in compactflash?  I don't really have any ideas on estimating
voicemail space consumption, or commonly fun things people do with
modules and dialplans that might suck extra space down the road.

4) If as I suspect the 2.5in HDD is going to be a better bet
space-wise, does this change anything about the power situation from
question 2?

Any info appreciated,

-- Brandon