[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Oct 5 15:06:24 CDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 01:26:58PM -0500, Lacy Moore wrote:
> I was completely against the dual licensing in the beginning.  But now, I'm
> leaning more towards understanding it and the importance of it, especially
> as it related to US Patent laws.  We're going to find that everything is
> patented in the US.  This is going to be the demise of open source in the
> US.  Only with indeminifcation clauses are we going to be able to use
> software.  We'll have to use software that already has already the patent
> license agreements in place.  This is where the dual licensing and ABE comes
> in, in my opinion.

Your line of thinking reminds me of another doomsday scenario:
http://lwn.net/Articles/162686/

Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

What if.. what if the linux kernel developers tomorrow accept that
binary modules are OK and are essential for the progress of linux.

a hypothetical doomsday scenario by Arjan van de Ven

Strangely enough, this hasn't happened. Things have actually improved
with the recent decelartions of AMD/ATI .

If you are right, then the pressure will kill Asterisk. At least as a
market leader. Not leave just an ABE. The ABE has no existance in the
long run without the free version.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com