[asterisk-users] No audio on Zap (T1/PRI) channels

Steve Totaro stotaro at mail.schoffstall.com
Thu Oct 4 06:47:18 CDT 2007

Steve Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Steve Totaro wrote:
>

>> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>>> You caused the behavior you are seeing by configuring your spanmap this
>>> way; you've got physical span #4 configured as the second span in the
>>> trunkgroup, so Zaptel will treat physical channels 73-95 as logical
>>> channels 1/1 through 1/23.
>>>

>> If it were configured as the second span, shouldn't is be channels 25-48
>> rather than 1-23?  voip-info was very unclear about this when I looked
>> at it over a year ago.  I finally got it working by trying different
>> combinations in spanmap.
>>
>> Digium should have it's own wiki that is maintained by Digium.
>> Voip-info is ok but much of it is old and or incorrect at this point.
>>

> Qwest and I fiddled for a couple of hours. The channels are answered in
> ascending sequence and "match" between logical span/channel and
> zap/channel. Channels 0/24 (zap/24) and 1/24 (zap/48) are "skipped"
> because they are the primary and secondary D channels.
>
> Still no joy -- no audio.
>
> Here's zaptel.conf:
>
> # span 1
> span                                    = 1,1,0,esf,b8zs
> bchan                                   = 1-23
> dchan                                   = 24
>
> # span 2
> span                                    = 2,0,0,esf,b8zs
> bchan                                   = 25-47
> dchan                                   = 48
>
> # span 3
> span                                    = 3,0,0,esf,b8zs
> bchan                                   = 49-72
>
> # span 4
> span                                    = 4,2,0,esf,b8zs
> bchan                                   = 73-96
>
> # (end of /etc/zaptel.conf)
>
> and zapata.conf:
>
> [trunkgroups]
>          trunkgroup                      = 1,24,48
>          spanmap                         = 1,1,0
>          spanmap                         = 2,1,1
>          spanmap                         = 3,1,2
>          spanmap                         = 4,1,3
>
> [channels]
>          context                         = block-ani
>          echocancel                      = no
>          echocancelwhenbridged           = no
>          echotraining                    = no
>          group                           = 1
>          resetinterval                   = never
>          signalling                      = pri_cpe
>          switchtype                      = dms100
>
> ; span 1 (1-24)
>          channel                         = 1-23
> ; span 2 (25-48)
>          channel                         = 25-47
> ; span 3 (49-72)
>          channel                         = 49-72
> ; span 4 (73-96)
>          channel                         = 73-96
>
> ; (end of /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf)
>
> Any more clues on where to look to find my missing audio?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Steve Edwards      sedwards at sedwards.com      Voice: +1-760-468-3867 PST
> [...]
The wiki page is still as cryptic as ever.
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/NFAS

As I said before, I just kept changing the values in spanmap until it
worked.  This was with Global Crossing.  There are only a handfull of
combinations to try.  I did not use a backup D chan as I figured if one
D chan went down on a trunk group, both probably would so that adds to
your mix.

Just keep fiddling with spanmap and testing calls.  If you can get your
provider to point DID a did to each individual span, it will make
troubleshooting much easier without needing a tech on the phone.  This
is how I solved my issue.

 From the wiki:
spanmap => 1,1,3
spanmap => 2,1,1
spanmap => 3,2,2
spanmap => 4,2,0

When we had it configured 0,1,2,3 any calls that came into spans 1 or 2
worked fine. But spans 0 and 3 did not pass any audio. Switching the
logical span numbers fixed it. This is because zapspan #1 is suppose to
be the one that the D-Channel is on. In our case that was actually
logical span 3. Be sure to watch out for this, we were confused and took
up a few hours of a GBLX tech's time to get it fixed.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro