[asterisk-users] extensions.conf vs. AEL

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed Oct 3 08:43:27 CDT 2007

Yehavi Bourvine +972-8-9489444 wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I see that most people are using the extensions.conf syntax (most of the
> examples and questions here use that syntax). recently I've translated all my
> dial plan to AEL syntax and I find it much easier, especially when you need
> IFs.
>
>    Why most people don't use it? Am I missing something?

I just think its the default so probably many new people to Asterisk
start there and then possibly move over to AEL or AGI scripts later on
as needs become more complex...  For those that have been in the
Asterisk community for a longer period of time, the traditional "flat
line" script was all that was available until AEL came along as far as I
know.

I wrote an automated dialplan generator so much of *our* systems had the
traditional flat script because its much easier to produce that
traditional asterisk script from a GUI that generates script for you.

I prefer pascal syntax personally, so we use a pascal based AGI/FastAGI
engine that I wrote for much of our more advanced logic.

In the end, it probably comes down to preference and need, I would
think.  Nice to be proficient in writing it all; flat scripts, AEL,
AGI/FastAGI/Manager API (using your programming/script language of
prefernce)....this way we can have more tools to solve more problems for
our customers or company.

---
Warm Regards,

Lee