[asterisk-users] Off-Topic: Avaya

Salvatore Giudice Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com
Fri Nov 30 13:40:02 CST 2007

If you desire SIP in Avaya, you have to add a SES (SIP Enablement Server) to
your Avaya setup. They are cheap. You only have to pay for the box and the
maintenance percentage. You don't need to buy user ports or any of that
garbage as long as you setup your extensions using Optum, which is a free
Avaya feature. The SES maintains a registry and a dial plan. SIP phones
attached to SES send media directly to medpros and the SES does a protocol
conversion between SIP and H.323 to bridge a connection between the SIP
phone and the CLAN cards.

The voicemail issue you describe with the MWI is because Avaya's systems use
qsig trunks to connect to voicemail servers. Asterisk is not connected int
hat manner, so of course you won't be able to support Avaya MWI's. However,
you can deposit a script on your asterisk that would send the standard
notifies to the Avaya phones to manipulate the MWI's directly. However, you
will need to statically address the phones and keep track of them because
you cannot poll an SES server for their SIP URI's. Hell, Avaya won't even
give you root on any of their servers. You cant audit the box and you can't
poll them unless you pay them money to join their partner program and get
their SDK. If you already have Avaya, you should just buy Message Networking
or a Mitel voicemail server if you want seamless voicemail with Avaya.

However, you should know that using Avaya is probably a bad idea to begin
with. Until February 07, the majority Avaya's soft switch products were
running on Redhat 9, which was unsupported since 2003. Avaya was only
managing a dozen packages and they've always left it up to the customer to
know when they need an update, requiring the customer to request a field
load. It has to be the worst update model in the industry when it comes to
infrastructure monitoring and patching. By using Avaya, you are blindly
trusting them to properly maintain a Linux appliance. This is something they
are not capable of and you can't even audit them.

Avaya is what happens to organizations when they have ignorant telecom
infrastructure engineers deciding what products to buy. Avaya focuses sales
on those engineers because they k now their products won't pass
certification by network, systems, or security engineers. Telecom engineers
only look for features and usually get their asses handed to them after they
put Avaya VoIP into their infrastructure.

Salvatore Giudice
Salvatore.Giudice at VoIPSecurityTraining.com

VoIP Security Training, LLC
http://VoIPSecurityTraining.com

848 N. Rainbow Blvd. #1676
Las Vegas, NV 89107