[asterisk-users] How to originate a call from console CLI ?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:35:49 CST 2007

Hi,

I would like to originate my first call from CLI.
As I'm new to this, I'm wondering if it's possible.
When I type "originate" from CLI, I've got this :

"  There are two ways to use this command. A call can be originated between
channel and a specific application, or between a channel and an extension in
the dialplan. This is similar to call files or the manager originate action.
Calls originated with this command are given a timeout of 30 seconds.

Usage1: originate <tech/data> application <appname> [appdata]
  This will originate a call between the specified channel tech/data and the
given application. Arguments to the application are optional. If the given
arguments to the application include spaces, all of the arguments to the
application need to be placed in quotation marks.

Usage2: originate <tech/data> extension [exten@][context]
  This will originate a call between the specified channel tech/data and the
given extension. If no context is specified, the 'default' context will be
used. If no extension is given, the 's' extension will be used."

I would like for example to call 0123456789 number from SIP/7530 extension.
My asterisk server is set to use "local" context for outgoing calls.
My first idea was to type this :
originate SIP  7530   0123456789 at local

But it fails : it keeps displaying " There are two ways ..." and nothing
else seem to occur.

Can anyone help ?
Cheers