[asterisk-users] Bad audio quality in 1.4-SVN when encoding to alaw/ulaw

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Wed Nov 28 13:31:02 CST 2007

Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

>> for all tests where Snom360 was the only client on my side you can use
>> ekiga and get the exact same results, so this rules out a problem with
>> Snom. You can use ulaw instead of alaw without changes.
>>
>> The pattern here is quite clear, as soon as Asterisk needs to encode
>> alaw/ulaw, sound gets bad.
>>
>> Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this?
>
> What version of GCC are you building with? There is currently an issue
> open, http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11243, with codec_gsm that
> seems to stem from GCC 4.2 performing optimizations on the code.
> Building with DONT_OPTIMIZE enabled in make menuselect fixes it for
> now, or using another version of GCC.

Thanks, that fixed the problem. gcc version is "gcc version 4.2.3
20071014 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-3)".

It doesn't add up with the bug report though, as I could see this
problem when codec_gsm was definitely not in use. Even converting wav to
alaw for MusicOnHold was broken.

Should I add something to the bugtracker or is this a seperate issue?

Regards,
Bernhard