[asterisk-users] Bad audio quality in 1.4-SVN when encoding to alaw/ulaw

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Nov 28 09:20:40 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Bernhard Schmidt
[mailto:berni at birkenwald.de]
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Sent: Wed,
28 Nov 2007 14:49:24 -0400
Subject: [asterisk-users] Bad audio quality in
1.4-SVN when encoding to alaw/ulaw

> Hi,

Greetings and salutations.

> for all tests where Snom360 was the only client on my side you can use
> ekiga and get the exact same results, so this rules out a problem with
> Snom. You can use ulaw instead of alaw without changes.
>
> The pattern here is quite clear, as soon as Asterisk needs to encode
> alaw/ulaw, sound gets bad.
>
> Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this?

What version of GCC are you building with? There is currently an issue open, http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11243, with codec_gsm that seems to stem from GCC 4.2 performing optimizations on the code. Building with DONT_OPTIMIZE enabled in make menuselect fixes it for now, or using another version of GCC.

Joshua Colp
Software Developer
Digium, Inc.