[asterisk-users] Can Asterisk act like an ISP dialin server to data callls from Sipura 3000 or other ATA connected devices ?

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Tue Nov 27 22:25:26 CST 2007

Horse hockey...

I currently have a *BANK* of PAP2's hooked up to a wide array of analog
modems (a USR Total Connect MP/8, two USR Courier V.Everythings and a
Digi LANASERVER).

After balancing the audio on the pap2's to not feedback audio and reduce
chances of echo occurring, I've had no problem maintaining all lines
running whether it's within the LAN or from West Coast USA to Europe
(fidonet bbs's and x.25 networks) or between the West Coast USA and
Australia via SIP point-to-point.  The max speed i've obtained is
33.6kbits/s and that's the normal maximum for *non-ISP* configurations.

The key things to setup for is:

1.) Steady latency.  Latency is the line killer because modems rely on
timing.  Most of the time (95%) it's not an issue as my routes to the
various VSP's I use have a constant strain/timing between myself and them.
2.) Disable Data Compression on the modem and save it in the NVRAM of
the modem.  (AT&K0)  Digitized analog signal already has enough lost
bits. *DO* however leave Error Correction on.  If both modems support
it, it helps tremendously even through "lag" events.
3.) Test, test and retest... Listen to the connection.  If it doesn't
work at faster speeds, use the AT&Nx where x is a number from 0 (auto)
to 1 (300bps) to 2 (1200bps) etc... so you can figure out the maximum
potential of your hardware and voip connections.

So yes Virginia, you can do analog modems over VoIP without issue.  And
pull a decent data rate.  All you would need then is to configure the
modem and the machine it's connected to as a PPP server then configure
the phone to call your modem via *.