[asterisk-users] Snom phones, blinking lights and call pickup

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Tue Nov 27 19:09:55 CST 2007

Philipp von Klitzing wrote:

>>    2. if the call is not answered after a short time, a light (phone
>>       layout is similiar to the Snom phones) begins to blink at the
>>       monitor phones; caller ID and the target number are displayed; if
>>       you press the button next to the blinking light, you pick-up the
>>       call;
>
> I don't think you will be able to get the exact same behaviour arranged
> with asterisk and snom, however there are three choices for you that get
> quite close:
>
> 1. Use group dial like in Dial(SIP/1&SIP/2) and have your monitor phones
> each act as SIP/2 to SIP/6 with dedicated (!) lines that have their
> ringer set to "silent". You might want to adjust the Caller ID name to
> prefix it with the called number like "to 123: from 4567890". The SNOMs
> have 12 lines, so why not actually use some of them ...

I wouldn't like that personally but it's an interesting
idea anyway.

> A variation of this: Record a new ringer sound that is a) long and b) has
> 10+ seconds silence at the beginning, and let the monitoring SNOMs use
> that.

Might work if the sound file is on the phone before you
try to dial to it. If you use the Alert-Info header in
combination with ringtones longer than just a few seconds
the Snom crashes.

Better use the ring_after_delay setting if you plan to go
this way.
http://wiki.snom.com/Web_Interface/Settings/Common#ring_after_delay

> 3. Stay with your current solution, and add a SIP MESSAGE sent using
> sipsak using System() that informs the monitoring phones of the caller
> ID; I haven't tested this particular case so I am not sure if this SIP
> MESSAGE would not be immediately overwritten on the phone's display with
> other data like (useless) pick-up information.

Might work but it smells like an ugly hack. Remember you
need to clear the desktop messages.

Grüße,
  Philipp Kempgen

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
    Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998