[asterisk-users] Snom phones, blinking lights and call pickup

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Tue Nov 27 11:00:28 CST 2007

Steve Davies wrote:
> On 11/27/07, Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> So far, so good. What I want now is that I can see the number of the
>> caller in my display and can pickup the call by pressing the blinking
>> lights. I can pickup the call using the pickup extension.
>
> Hi,
>
> I would first ask yourself what you expect to happen if (for example)
> you have a snom sidecar, and there are 42 lights all blinking at the
> same time? I do not think that your feature request stands the
> "usability" test :)
>
> Even in the much simpler case of 2 calls coming in at once, how do you
> associate the numbers on the screen to the correct buttons?
>
> What if the ringing-hint is flashing for 2 or more simultaneous calls
> (which is quite possible) - Which one is indicated, and how do you
> choose which one to pick-up?
>
> Perhaps snom have come up with some fantastic method of dealing with
> this. Given the space available on their LCD - I personally doubt it!

All he's asking for are SIP NOTIFYs of the extension state with
dialog-info XML in the body as described in RFC 4235 and elsewhere.

It's up to the SIP user agent (i.e. the phone) how to deal with it.
(e.g. display only the first or last message if the screen is too
small ...)

Regards,
  Philipp Kempgen

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
    Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998