[asterisk-users] Annoying PRI Channels Restarting Message

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Sat Nov 24 10:16:25 CST 2007

Michael Collins wrote:
>> Is there a reason it resets?  Aka does it serve any kind of purpose?
>>

> Just curious: what protocol variant (i.e. 4/5ESS, DMS, NI2, etc.) are
> you using? Also, which carrier?  Finally, have you turned on PRI
> debugging to see if it is the telco that is requesting the restart?  In
> some cases the telco will send out a PRI message like 'service' (i.e.
> service request) to which the CPE will need to respond with a service
> ack message.  Not all telcos behave the same with respect to so-called
> maintenance messages, so you might want to follow up with the carrier
> just to be sure nothing is wrong.  "Probably" nothing is wrong but it
> can't hurt to check.
>
> -MC
>
> P.S. - the messages might be annoying, but if you've ever had PRI issues
> then those messages become comforting!

It is Asterisk or more specifically Zaptel that causes the resets
defined by the "resetinterval" variable.  I have only noticed it on a
PRI (5ess and NI2 from what I have personally seen).  It has nothing to
do with the telco but I wonder what they see on their side?

To me it is comforting to see, I have also disabled resetinterval on a
box with four Qwest PRIs and had absolutely no problems in the last six
or seven months since doing it.  Bottom line, I don't really think it is
needed and should possibly be defaulted to "never".

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
888.777.1888