[asterisk-users] [1.4 - Record] How to tell if user did leave a msg?

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 11:38:45 CST 2007

  On Nov 23, 2007 11:10 AM, Vincent   wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:45:35 -0500, "Baji Panchumarti"
>
> > STAT() and record() are doing exactly what they are
> > supposed to. Use the "s" flag to fetch the file size. You
> > have to try a few hangups and figure out a minimum
> > file size that qualifies as a recording in your setup.
>
> Mmmm, that's what I feared :-/ It'd be real useful if
> Record() handled this itself. Answering machines are
> able to tell that a user either hung up while it was still
> playing the message (detects the BUSY signal) or
> didn't say anything (silence for a couple of seconds
> followed by BUSY).
>
> I'll see if I can come up with something. Thanks.

 Answering machines on a pots line are able to detect a
 caller hangup based on a loop current drop on the line.

 If that happens before the beep the machine can reset &
 ignore the msg, if the hangup is after the beep, depending
 on the machine it may or may not be able to.

 If your callers are calling via  VoIP / digital  phones
 record will probably detect the hangup pretty fast,
 slower older devices - your mileage will vary.

 Sometimes I use  "press 1 to leave a msg" to reduce the
 number of dead air msgs from callers.