[asterisk-users] Softphone to be installed on the Mobile

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Nov 21 06:21:35 CST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, bilal ghayyad wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> Is there a softphone that can be installed on a mobile
> (new mobile models), so it can work with Asterisk as
> following:
>
> 1) As SIP or H323 client, with the ability to add
> button functionalities (call pickup, call transfer,
> ...) so if there is a wireless network, then it can
> use it to connect to Asterisk and work as client, but
> from the Mobile.

You might want to look for phones that already have SIP clients built-in,
rather than add-ons... Although the first company to produce an affordable
IAX client for my Nokia E90 will get my money!)

A lot of Nokia phones already have this in, and have had for some time. My
E90 works OK with asterisk via Wi-Fi, but I've yet to be able to make it
work via 3G...

> 2) If there is no wireless network, then it can
> receive calls via the GSM (doing a special settings on
> Asterisk to forward the call to the mobile number), so
> he can receive the call and do the PBX functionalies
> (transfer, pickup, forward)?

I can (& do) transfer my incoming number to my mobile, then it goes over
the traditional GSM network to the phone, but one into that network,
you're at the mercy of that networks functions, so if the GSM network (&
the phone!) lets you do transfers, etc. then you can...

My E90 appears to let you make 2 SIP calls and transfer one to the other,
but I've just tried it and it crashed...

Gordon