[asterisk-users] Pass CallerID when call forwards to PSTN?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Nov 20 09:24:50 CST 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 08:50:06 Russell Horn wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 5:06 AM, Dovid B <asteriskusers at dovid.net> wrote:
> > From what I have seen in the past asterisk should pass along the CID
> > automatically. As some one else already mentioned. It can be your ITSP.
> > You can always set the CID with Set(CALLERID(num)=1234567890).
>
> Asterisk does pass the caller ID for the internal calls, but for the
> external ones, my default outbound CallerID gets used.
>
> I can set a different CID like you suggest above, but I don't know how
> to get the inbound CID so I can set it correctly. Does anyone know if
> there's a variable exposed to my extensions.conf so I can do something
> like Set(CALLERID(num)=${VAR}) and set outbound callerID to that of
> the calling party?

Callerid is automatically passed along the route of the call.  It is
inherited, unless overwritten.  If you are using analog lines, this is not
possible.  If you are using an ITSP or a PRI, you need to ensure that your
provider will let you set arbitrary CallerID (explain to them the legitimate
purpose of forwarding calls out to cell phones, and they are much more
likely to permit that, than if you say you want to spoof CallerID).

--
Tilghman