[asterisk-users] Switch to Multi-Proc -> Choppy sound?

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 21:33:42 CST 2007

  On Nov 19, 2007 9:59 PM, Bill Binko wrote:

> Hello, everyone
>
> I'm relatively new to Asterisk (and VOIP in general), but I have a
> project that it will really help with.  So, I setup a test system on an
> ancient 400MHz P3 we had lying around.  It worked great.  I had a test
> dialplan working, and had no trouble connecting to it with SIP using 3CX
> SoftPhone over our LAN (and over the Net through our NAT).
>
> So, we went ahead and bought a server to put up on our colo site with
> our web apps and database.  We put together a 2 proc, dual-core AMD
> system with 8GB memory, plenty of disk space (>2TB) 3 GB NICs etc. and
> setup Asterisk 1.4.13 (from source) on it.
>
> There is no telephony hardware on the box, so we load ztdummy (manually
> for now in the asterisk startup script).
>
> When we run the same tests, we get garbled, choppy sound through even
> with exactly the same dialplan, sounds, etc.  The load doesn't even
> register, and I can't imagine that it's a true performance issue.  We
> have tried multiple codex (ulaw, alaw, speex, ilbc, everything 3CX
> supports) and have the same issues.
>
> Is there some step I'm missing when using a multi-proc machine?
>
> Thanks
> Bill
>
> PS: I have been trying to get this to post to the list for a while and
> am not getting it through... any help?

 Someone else can confirm this, if you have no telephony hardware
 running the ztdummy is not needed, but there probably isn't any harm
 from it.

 You didn't mention which distro and what dual core AMD processors,
 there are known issues from distros using  gcc 4.2 as well as issues
 AMD 64-bit processors.

  http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=10226