[asterisk-users] OT - best policy for logs

Erik Anderson erikerik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:15:44 CST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 12:55 PM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> In my experience, it's easier to combine them all into one syslog
> server, and then utilize tools to filter them apart when necessary,
> since there are more tools to do that than to *combine* them when that
> is necessary, which it often is.

Agreed - I have all of my servers send their syslogs to
/var/log/messages on one central logging server.  If you want to
examine a device-specific log, just use tail + grep.  That said, any
system logger worth it's salt will make it extremely easy to have
device-specific log files if you prefer.

-erik